PTO Summer Reading Program
Summer 2020 is finally upon us! As everyone heads out for summer break, we want to remind you how important it is to keep students' brains working just a little bit, even while they are away from school.
This summer may look a little different than previous summers, with a lot of activities we might normally have done that are closed. This gives you plenty of extra time to read! There are lots of fun and easy ways to fit reading into your summer plans!
- Encourage your child to read at least 15-20 minutes every day, or a minimum of 5 books during summer break.
- Find one or two books your whole family can read together and discuss- it's like your own little book club!
- It's OK for your child to read anything at their reading level that interests them: comics, magazines, graphic novels, news articles, books, etc.
- Don’t forget to take reading material with you when you go on trips or while you wait at lessons, appointments, etc.
- Use the public library to check out books - select JoCo Library branches have drive-thru services open now; all branches will reopen mid-June. Check their website for more information.
- Use your reading minutes to "double-dip" in additional reading programs from the library or local bookstores. See the Resources section below for links.
- Only minutes from May 23 - August 12 will count towards this reading challenge.
- Have fun and fabulous summer, and keep reading!
Keep track of your child’s reading with our reading log. If your child is old enough, have them record their own minutes on the log.
Total up the minutes at the bottom of each page!!!
Make sure your student's name is on every page and staple all pages together at the end of the summer.
Summer Reading Celebration
Reading logs will be collected in the fall when we return to school. Every student who records minutes on their reading log will be invited to the VPE Summer Reading Celebration!
Awards will be presented to the TOP 3 readers (by total minutes) in each grade level and TOP 3 readers in the whole school! Celebration date and details will be announced later.
Half-Priced Books Feed Your Brain Summer Reading Program
Questions? Contact Bethany Scheppele, Summer Reading Program Coordinator
Dates are subject to change.